Children’s Librarian: Susan Slater email@example.com 814 723-4650
Children’s Room Assistant: Kelley Wood
Reminder: Children who participated in our Reading Component may come into the library until August 31 to choose their prizes and gain recognition for their reading accomplishments. To gain access inside the library an appointment must be made during our Browse by Appointment hours (Monday, 10:00-1:00; Wednesday, 1:00-4:00; Thursday, 4:00-7:00). Children with paper logs should bring their logs in. Children who used the online Reader Zone can simply tell us their name and how many books they read as we already have a list of those participants. Phone Ms. Susan with any questions. Children are to be accompanied by an adult.
We are not able to offer any in-person programs this summer. Please visit our Virtual Programs page, where you can link to episodes posted thus far of Checkers Library TV, Absolute Science, and our online Scholastic Book Fair. Please read below for program descriptions and information on the Reading Component.
Toddler Time: Ms. Susan will be recording a Toddler Time story time and posting to Warren Public Library Facebook and the Virtual Programs page on our website at the beginning of each week from June 15 through August 3. There will be one recording per week for eight weeks. Geared to ages one to four. Recordings may still be viewed after these dates.
Reading Wednesday: Ms. Kelley will be recording a faceless story time and posting to Warren Public Library Facebook and the Virtual Programs page on our website midweek from June 17 through August 5. There will be one recording per week for eight weeks. Geared to ages five to eight. Recordings may still be viewed after these dates.
Imagine Your Story with Ms. Donna: Volunteer and library enthusiast Ms. Donna loves doing special programs with the children throughout the year, so she has offered to record some special story times throughout the summer. These will also be posted to Warren Public Library Facebook and our Virtual Programs page on our website towards the end of each week from June 17 through August 5. Recordings may still be viewed after these dates.
Scholastic Virtual Book Fair: Bring the joy of reading home for the children in your lives by shopping our virtual book fair from now through September 4, 2020. Designed to provide students with easy access to new books throughout the summer, families can shop and discover favorite characters, series, and collections that are sure to keep kids reading. All orders are delivered direct to homes and shipping is FREE on book-only orders over $25*. Plus, all purchases benefit the Warren Public Library. Our library will earn 25% in Scholastic Dollars based on sales throughout the summer. How It Works: Shoppers can create an account to save our library in their profile for future purchases; you can shop without creating an account if you prefer. Visit our homepage at Scholastic at: https://bookfairs.scholastic.com/bf/warrenpubliclibrary. Once there you can Shop Now. NOTE: Shoppers can create an account to save our library in their profile for future purchases or you can shop without creating an account if you prefer by clicking “No thanks, not now.”
Checkers Library TV Virtual Program: Checkers TV is a weekly educational entertainment program featuring Checkers the Inventor (Joey Hamilton), his robot sidekick, Snoozer, and a variety of special visitors including medical professionals, community leaders, police and fire men and women, and other special guests in highly-produced 30 minute episodes. Each weekly episode also includes segments featuring storytelling, author interviews, art projects, science experiments, interactive games, contests, comedy, magic, and exciting short films that will have children on the edge of their seats. There will be sixteen episodes, one episode featured each week throughout the summer on our Virtual Programs page. Check out the episodes already featured. Photos above show Checkers when he visited our library last fall.
Absolute Science Virtual Program: Professor Rick Brammer and his enthusiastic scientist friends present a STEM video series that introduce science with amazing science experiments, magic tricks, optical illusions and more. Fun learning in unique and interactive ways, geared towards elementary ages and up. There will be eleven episodes, one episode featured each week throughout the summer on our website’s Virtual Programs page. Check out the episodes already featured.
- Children keep track of books read over the summer.
- We want to the children to read for pleasure, so we do not expect a specific number of books to be read.
- Children will receive prizes for reading whether they read five books, twenty books, fifty books or one hundred books.
- All formats count: e-books, audio books, chapter books, picture books, nonfiction books, comic books, graphic novels, etc.
- Younger children can participate because parents can record books read to their tiny tots.
- Two ways to keep track of books: Reading Logs (picked up at the library in June or July) or Reader Zone software program. Parents who prefer the online method may use Reader Zone (readerzone.com), which can be accessed via their website, or put a Reader Zone app on their smartphones. Join with the code: 70c39.
- Prizes: Children have until August 31, 2020, to turn in their reading logs. We will not keep the logs; we just want to record the information for statistical purposes. Children will receive Reading Certificates and choose some toy-type prizes. In order to gain access inside the library parents/guardians must make an appointment during our Browse by Appointment hours (Monday, 10;00 am-1:00 pm; Wednesday, 1:00-4:00 pm; Thursday, 4:00-7:00 pm). Those who use Reader Zone should have already received an email indicating its time to come in for prizes.
Portions of these programs are possible due to the generous contributions made at our annual Midwinter FUNdraiser.